1934 Vauxhall BX Roadster
The Vauxhall Company was founded in by Alexander Wilson, and had originally been named the Vauxhall Iron Works as it produced pumps and marine engines. Its first vehicle was built in 1903, a 5 hp model that was steered using a tiller, with only two forward gears, and no reverse. Eventually a better design was produced and made available for sale.
General Motors had acquired Vauxhall in 1925. The cars were built in England and then shipped to Australia where they were fitted with bodies designed and built by Holden. Both companies-Vauxhall and Holden-are subsidiaries of General Motors Corporation.
The Vauxhall BX was introduced in 1934 powered by a 195 cubic-inch overhead valve 6-cylinder engine producing 27 horsepower. Before being discontinued in 1936, 3,788 BX models were produced. The chassis for the very rare and BX roadster model was built in England and then shipped to Australia for body assembly by Holden, GM’s Australian car division.
It is powered by a six-cylinder, 3200cc motor that develops 27 horsepower. A total of 3,788 BX series automobiles were produced between 1934 and 1938.
A UK car company, Vauxhall Motors is a subsidiary of General Motors. The griffin emblem, which is still in use today, is taken from the coat of arms of Fulk le Breant, a mercenary soldier who ‘was granted the Manor of Luton for services to King John in the thirteen century’. This soldier gained the rights to an area near London by marriage, and the house he built, called ‘Fulk’s Hall’, became known as Vauxhall over time.
GM purchased Vauxhall in 1925 for 2.5 million U.S. dollars. During WWII, car production was suspended at Vauxhall to allow work on the Churchill tank, which had been designed at Luton in less than a year, and also assembled there. Production resumed after the war, but models were designed as more mass-market product.
The Motorcar Offered:
This Vauxhall BX roadster is one of only 54 roadsters built in 1934 and is believed to be the only survivor. It has striking line accented by chrome embellishments including a deep scallop in either side if the hood. Air Deco characteristics can be seen throughout its appointments. The car was restored in the 1970s in Australia and was refreshed in 2002. The car presents nicely with a charming patina from age and careful use.
The paint and bodywork present well as a very nice driver. The 40 year old paint has some checking in various locations along with a few nicks and chips touched up over the years. The chrome is sharp and bright, showing extremely well. The mint green wire wheels look great and have a period correct set of wide white wall tires on them. The engine starts easily and runs great. The transmission shifts smoothly and the clutch grips as it should. Recent services include: Oil change, Re-cored radiator, Rebuilt water pump, Rebuilt transmission, Rebuilt carburetor, New voltage regulator, Brightwork re-chromed, Electric fuel pump added and Electronic ignition added. The interior presents well with minimal signs of wear and use. Its tan color looks great with the British Green exterior. A full set of side curtains and weather gear is complete with this car and fits well. The convertible top is in very good condition and fits snugly. There is no convertible top boot but one could be easily made for it.
There is an array of spare parts that is included with the sale. These include: 4 fenders, Extra hub caps, Brake drums, Vauxhall wrench, Spare tire cover, Head gasket, New exhaust, Owners manual and other miscellaneous parts and printed material.
Overall, this is a very attractive, sporty roadster that is also exceptionally rare. It has been the recipient of many awards which will be included with the sale. You will thoroughly enjoy cruising around the countryside in this attractive vehicle. In addition, you will also appreciate the look of astonishment as onlookers try to figure out where this beautiful machine was built and why they’ve never seen one. Could it be because this is the only one left? Probably so…